Tuesday, May 14, 2013

rules Is gOOd

Rules are good.  They help establish a foundation for creativity and expression.  The song I played is based on ragtime music which has a strict rhythm and chord progression.  Within those constraints I still improvised the solo, chose a vocal melody, and chose the words I wanted to say.  I feel like a lot of modern music is lacking the discipline and skill that older music has.  I learn older music by using the rules already laid out for me and then put my own modern approach to it, whether it be retro metal, bluegrass, or blues.  I feel free when I can play something structured and find my own way through it.  Even when I disagree with rules in front of me, it feels good to break them and go against the grain. So, speaking in a creative sense of what rules mean to me; I think they are a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byUlk-mn2S0

No comments:

Post a Comment